SKU: 30903600118 Category: Tag:

Brunia Syrah (2018)

100% Syrah

kr309

Sold in case of 6 x 750ml

72 in stock

In short

The 2018 Syrah includes 40% whole bunch, matured in used oak for 14 months. It has a high toned bouquet of dark cherries, black currant and violet aromas, tight at first but blossoming with aeration. The palate is medium bodied with grainy tannins, offering predominantly red fruit laced with black pepper and sage. Balanced and fleshy. Alc: 13.5 %, TA 6.5 g /l, pH: 3.16, RS 1.9 g/l

Description

Grapes for 2018, were sourced from single vineyard parcel of sustainably farmed 11 year old vines grown on granitic soils. The vineyard is situated in the cool climate region of Sondagskloof on the south coast of South Africa. This parcel gives a bright, mineral expression of Semillon with a coated acidity.

In the vineyard
Grapes for the 2018 Syrah, were sourced from single vineyard parcel of sustainably farmed 12 year old vines grown on granitic soils. The vineyard is situated in the cool climate region of Sondagskloof on the south coast of South Africa. This parcel gives a classic expression of Syrah, with typical pepper and clove aromas. This is a very textured wine with fresh tannins and great length.
In the cellar
The grapes were processed to open top fermenters, 40% whole bunch was employed for perfume and structure, while the remaining 60% was destemmed on top. Minimal sulphur is added at crush as to encourage natural fermentation from the indigenous yeast. No further additions are made. The must is initially pumped over for homogenization, thereafter punch downs are employed 1 – 2 times per day for extraction. Maceration generally last 21 days, after which the wines are pressed to barrel for natural malolactic fermentation. The wine is racked and sulphured in late winter and then put back to barrel for maturation until bottling. Wines are bottled unfiltered. Aged for 10 months in French Oak 228L barrels. No new oak.
Pairing suggestions
Pairs well with grilled lamb, charcuterie or grilled vegetables